Working for your financial and consumer rights

  Advice Line
Mon-Fri: 9am-4pm

Ombudsman Services

Home > Get Help > Ombudsman Services

Ombudsman Services

What is an Ombudsman Service?

From time to time, there will be issues that will arise where you find yourself not satisfied with the outcomes or services provided by different organisations.  It is important that in these instances, you always refer to the Internal Dispute Resolution Process of individual organisations. The internal Dispute Resolution Process is the first point of call for all disputes and organisations often have dedicated staff who handle these enquiries.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome received through Internal Dispute Resolution Processes, you may then escalate your concern to an Ombudsman Service who can assist you from an independent point of view. Each industry has its own ombudsman. See a full list below.

Ombudsman Services and Contact details


Commonwealth Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Ombudsman is responsible for handling complaints related to various Australian government departments and agencies. Additionally, the Commonwealth Ombudsman has the authority to address complaints specifically concerning the following:

  • health insurers;
  • education providers
  • postal operators including Australia Post
  • the defence force;
  • immigration;
  • overseas students;
  • student loans and
  • the Australian Federal Police

Phone: 1300 362 072
Online Form


Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman (TIO)

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) provides free, fair and independent help for phone and internet complaints when you are unable to resolve your issue with your telecommunication provider.  The TIO can assist:

  • Individual consumers
  • Small business consumers
  • Not-for-profit consumers
  • Owners and renters/boarders etc.
  • Account holders or their representatives

Phone: 1800 062 058
Online Form


Energy & Water Ombudsman WA

The Energy and Water Ombudsman addresses complaints about electricity, gas and water companies and providers licenced by the Economic Regulation Authority to operate in Western Australian and who are members.

A list of members is provided is available here.

The first step of the complaints process is to to get in touch with the provider. 

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can then contact the Energy & Water Ombudsman WA.  Information sheets are available with more information.

If you are from another state, you can refer to the Australian Energy Regulator for Ombudsman Schemes in your state.

Phone: 1800 754 004
Online Form


Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) provide consumers and small businesses with fair, free and independent dispute resolution for financial complaints.  This includes issues concerning the following:

  • Credit, finance and loans 
  • Banking, deposits and payments
  • Insurance
  • Superannuation
  • Investments and financial advice

Phone: 1800 931 678
Online Form


State Ombudsman WA

If you believe you have experienced unfair treatment from a Western Australian State Government agency, statutory authority, local government, or public university (public authority), the WA State Ombudsman may be able to offer assistance. The WA State Ombudsman may investigate complaints regarding the following:

  • State Government departments, statutory authorities, boards and corporations;
  • The Western Australia Police and its members, where the complaint relates to a matter of administration. The Corruption and Crime Commission deals with other complaints about the Western Australia Police;
  • Local governments (cities, towns and shires);
  • Public universities including The University of Western Australia, Curtin University of Technology, Murdoch University and Edith Cowan University; and
  • Many other public sector bodies and office holders.

Unless there are special circumstances, the Ombudsman cannot investigate:

  • Complaints more than 12 months old; or
  • Complaints which you can take to a court or tribunal.

Phone: 1800 117 000
Online Form

Ombudsman Videos

An Auslan Video explaining Ombudsman Services is available to provide an overview. If you’re d/Deaf or find it hard to hear or speak to hearing people on the phone. the National Relay Service (NRS) can help facilitate a call to your service provider or required ombudsman service. 

CCLS and Ombudsman Services

CCLS encourage consumers to work with their service providers and work through the internal dispute resolution processes first prior to contacting an ombudsman service. 

If a consumer is not happy with their outcome from an Ombudsman Service, they may contact CCLS for free legal advice on their situation. See contact form and details below.

If you require further advice, please message us using the form below for a confidential discussion, or scroll down to see other ways to reach us.

Client Contact Safety

Skip to content