Working for your financial and consumer rights

  Advice Line
Mon-Fri: 9am-4pm

Home Loans

Home > Get Help > Home Loans

Home Loans

What to do when you are behind on your home loan payments

If you are behind on a home loan repayment, it is important to act quickly and not ignore the situation. You are more likely to have a better outcome if you address the problem as soon as possible. If you are unsure of how to address your problem, Legal Aid NSW’s Mortgage Stress Handbook can help you get a better idea.

If you are behind on a home loan repayment, your options include:

  • Applying for a hardship variation;
  • Applying to postpone enforcement proceedings;
  • Refinancing the loan; and
  • Negotiating for time to sell the property.

What other support is available?

  • Click here to see our flow charts on postponing enforcement proceedings and making a hardship request. For more information you can review our Have you missed payments on your home loan? fact sheet or contact our advice line on (08) 9221 7066.

  • If you have missed a repayment, you are in default and your lender may send you a default notice. Click here to read our Default Notices Fact Sheet.

  • Financial Counsellors also offer a free, non-judgemental service to consumers experiencing financial hardship.  You can find out more about financial counsellors, their services and book an appointment through the National Debt Helpline 1800 0074 007.

  • If you have received a writ of summons issued from the Supreme Court, you may need to file a Memorandum of Appearance at the Supreme Court. There is usually a very short time frame between you receiving the writ of summons and having to file this document.

  • If you have received legal or court documents from the lender, you may be at risk of losing your home and you should contact us urgently.

If you would like further advice, please message us using the form below for a confidential discussion, or scroll down to see other ways to reach us.

Client Contact Safety

Skip to content