Other Organisations

Below are a list of some of the organisations that we deal with and which may be able to assist you.
Click on the text to the right of the logo to go through to that organisation’s website.


Community Legal Centres (CLCs) are independently operating not-for-profit community organisations that provide legal and related services to the public, focusing on the disadvantaged and people with special needs.


The Community Legal Centres Association of WA (the Association) is the peak organisation representing the 28 Community Legal Centres (CLCs) operating in Western Australia. It is committed to the principles of human rights, social justice and equity, including the rights of Western Australians to equity in access to legal services.


The State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) in Western Australia deals with a broad range of administrative, commercial and personal matters. These matters span human rights, vocational regulation, commercial and civil disputes, and development and resources issues. The Tribunal is the primary place for the review of decisions made by Government agencies, public officials and local governments. It also makes a wide variety of original decisions.


The Magistrates Court deals with civil matters that involve:

  • claims for debt or damages of up to $75,000;
  • minor claims for debt or damages up to $10,000;
  • consumer/trader claims over the sale, supply or hire of goods or services;
  • residential tenancy matters involving amounts up to $10,000; and
  • claims for the recovery of 'real property' up to a gross rental value of $75,000.

There are a range of forms for use in all civil proceedings initiated in the Magistrates Court, which are available from the Court’s website.


The District Court is an intermediate trial court placing it between the Magistrates Court and the Supreme Court in the Western Australian courts hierarchy. The District Court deals with serious criminal offences including serious assaults, sexual assaults, serious fraud and commercial theft, burglary and drug offences. The District Court also determines civil claims up to $750,000 and has unlimited jurisdiction in claims for damages for personal injury.


The Supreme Court is the State’s highest court, with responsibility for both criminal and civil matters. Generally it hears civil cases where the amount involved in the dispute is more than $750,000, or where land and real property is involved in the dispute. It also deals with very serious criminal charges, such as murder, armed robbery and serious breaches of Commonwealth drug enforcement laws.


MoneySmart is a website run by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission to assist people in making smart choices about their finances. It provides tips and tools across a range of financial areas to help consumers make the most of their money.


ASIC is Australia’s corporate, markets and financial services regulator. They contribute to Australia’s economic reputation and wellbeing by ensuring that Australia’s financial markets are fair and transparent, supported by confident and informed investors and consumers. ASIC promotes confident and informed participation by consumers and investors in the financial system. They promote the interests of consumers and protect their rights. They protect consumers by:

  • providing education, through the National Financial Literacy Strategy
  • providing trusted and independent information, tools and ongoing support


The ACCC promotes competition and fair trade in the market place to benefit consumers, businesses and the community. It also regulates national infrastructure services. Its primary responsibility is to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with the Commonwealth competition, fair trading and consumer protection laws.


Consumer Protection promotes fair trading and protecting the rights of consumers and businesses in Western Australia. Consumer Protection WA is also responsible for some occupational licences, buying, selling and renting homes, cooperatives and not for profit legislation.


Mycreditfile.com.au gives Australian consumers access to their credit report (also referred to as a credit file) as held by Veda. Veda also provides a credit report monitoring service to help Australian consumers protect themselves against the threat of ID theft. Mycreditfile.com.au is powered by Veda. Veda is a data and information company that holds consumer and business credit records.


checkyourcredit.com.au gives Australian consumers access to their credit report (also referred to as a credit file) as held by D&B. D&B also provides a credit report monitoring service to help Australian consumers protect themselves against the threat of ID theft. checkyourcredit.com.au is powered by D&B. D&B is a data and information company that holds consumer and business credit records.


Financial Counsellors provide information, options and support for individuals, families and consumer groups to explore, develop and implement strategies to overcome their financial situation.


The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is a free external dispute resolution service that fairly and independently resolves disputes between consumers (including some small businesses) and member financial services providers. Consumers can lodge a dispute against member financial services providers online.


The Credit and Investments Ombudsman (CIO) is a free external dispute resolution service providing consumers and member financial service providers with an independent and fair dispute resolution service. Consumers can lodge a dispute against member financial service providers online.


The TIO is a free and fair dispute resolution service for small business and residential customers who have a complaint about their telephone or internet service in Australia. It is independent and does not take sides. Its goal is to settle disputes quickly in an objective and non-bureaucratic way.


The Energy and Water Ombudsman receives, investigates and facilitates the resolution of complaints from residential and small business customers about their electricity or gas provider. It can investigate a wide range of complaints, including electricity/gas supply and billing disputes. Its services are free to residential and small business customers in Western Australia.